Quick vegan harissa squash hummus recipe
Vegan meals made in under 20 minutes
Our ‘Quick Vegan’ series are short, sharp pieces that get to the point. You’re a busy person who needs to eat, so check out our simple recipes that get from screen to stomach in 20m or less.
We have shared with you our staple hummus recipe in the past; Hummus Five Ways. But now we turn the flavour up a little bit higher with our butternut squash and harissa hummus. This is healthy, spicy and perfect for picnics, pre-dinner snacks and parties. Put it in wraps, burgers or just have with piping hot pitta.
For this recipe you will need a food processor or hand blender.
2/3 butternut squash, peeled and diced, aim for 500g
400g can of chickpeas
4 tbsp tahini paste
5 tsp harissa
4 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp olive oil for roasting
3 tbsp olive oil for hummus, plus more if serving
1/2 a lime
- Turn your oven on to 170C. In a large baking tray drizzle the roasting oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-50 minutes until soft. Leave to cool slightly until lukewarm
- Microwave the chickpeas in the chickpea water in a heatproof bowl for 3 minutes
- Chop or blitz the cloves of garlic in the processor first, then add the oil, harissa, drained chickpeas, and tahini into a paste
- Pour in the butternut squash and blitz until smooth
- Add any salt and pepper to taste if required, squeeze half a lime into the mix
- If the mixture doesn’t combine add some more olive oil or water until it does
- Spoon into a bowl, and add a dollop of harissa on top to finish
Hummus usually comes in a plastic tub which in some areas is not recyclable. We prefer to make our own as there is less plastic involved, and we can decide how much flavour we want to pack into it!!
Got a recommendation to add to our Quick Vegan: series? Let us know.
Grace has quit the 9-5 lifestyle in London to study marine conservation in Thailand. She will subsequently work as a scuba diving instructor with emphasis on teaching students about marine conservation and anthropogenic impacts to our oceans. Her favourite eco product is Oliva Olive Oil Soap.