Vegan meals made in under 20 minutes
The enchilada sauce is super versatile and can be used in virtually any Mexican recipe including fajitas, enchiladas, burritos, and of course Mexican pasta. The best thing about this recipe is you can adjust the spice depending on your taste. To intensify the flavour you can leave the sauce to sit for a few hours or overnight, alternatively you can just use it straight away.
We love this one pot meal because it’s quick and easy to make and is full of flavour!
Enchilada base mix (recipe is here)
1 tbsp fajita spice mix
1-2 tsp chilli powder (to taste)
140g orzo pasta
1x can black beans
1x can sweetcorn
Juice of half a lime
To serve: a handful of cherry tomatoes, jalapeños and an avocado
- Make the enchilada base mix
- In a separate pan boil the orzo until it’s almost starting to go soft (about 5 minutes before it’s ready). Don’t let it get too soft or it will overcook in the next step
- Add the sweetcorn, black beans and fajita seasoning to the enchilada sauce and stir thoroughly. Turn down to a low heat
- Squeeze in half of the lime to taste and season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile halve the tomatoes and slice up the avocado
- Add the orzo to the pan and give it a good stir. Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes until the pasta has finished cooking and everything has heated through. Make sure you stir frequently to avoid the pasta sticking to the pan
- Dish up with a wedge of lime and top with jalapeños
We love this recipe because it’s quick and flavoursome but best of all it can be made with minimal plastic! You can buy your herbs and spices in glass jars with metal lids (Sainsbury’s sell these) and your vegetables can be bought loose.
Lauren works as a digital fundraiser for a charity and volunteers in her spare time for a small animal charity doing all things digital. On the last Sunday of the month you’ll catch her out on a canoe litter picking on the Thames. Her favourite eco product is BECO soap.