Recipe: DIY Vegan Granola
E .C.O. Recipe
Our tried and tested favourites
This vegan recipe is a crowd pleaser. Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day, so make it exciting! Granola goes perfectly with dairy-free yoghurt and a whole load of fruit dumped on top. But granola can become expensive, especially when exciting flavours are introduced. What people don’t know is that it’s really easy to make and it can save you money making it at home. Plus, you get to choose your own flavour combinations each time you make it! This takes a little while to cook but it is really easy to prep and is a great one to make with the family.
You will need two bowls (one small, one large), two baking trays (one medium, one large). a microwave or hob and an oven.
300g rolled oats
120g golden syrup or vegan honey
80g brown sugar
100g unsweetened shredded coconut or desiccated coconut (choose which you would prefer – if you prefer desiccated we recommend removing 20g of sugar)
3tsp vanilla extract
50ml vegetable, coconut or avocado oil
100g chopped nuts (our favourites are pecan or walnut)
75g raisins or dried fruits
4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Use a medium-sized baking tray and cut some greaseproof paper so the sides over-hang.
- Mix the dry ingredients – oats, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, coconut, and flaxseed in a large bowl.
- If you are using coconut oil, use a microwave or the hob to melt the coconut oil. If you’re using vegetable or avocado oil, pour into a bowl and add the vanilla extract, then stir in the golden syrup or vegan honey.
- Put this bowl into the microwave or on the hob until it starts to bubble slightly.
- Pour the hot mixture into the dry oat bowl and stir slowly to combine – be careful of the syrup splashing your hands.
- Leave it to one side for 10-20 minutes to cool. Once it is cool enough to touch, mix again with your hands like you’re making breadcrumbs, ensure all of the oats are covered with the sticky mixture.
- Combine and pick up the mixture, put it on to your baking tray. Press the mixture our evenly to cover as much of the pan as you can.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray after 20 minutes, but do not turn your oven off.
- Leave the pan to cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the flat granola cake on the the large baking tray. Break up the cake into small chunks (the size you would want to eat) and push them out onto the pan so there is enough space as possible between them.
- Turn the heat down to 130°C and put back into the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour into the old medium size sheet to cool. It will harden once cooled to the standard granola texture.
- This can be stored in an air tight container for 3-4 weeks or eaten straight away with friends and family. We eat our vegan granola with fresh fruit and vegan soya yoghurt.
Other ingredients we recommend:
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- cashew nuts
- all spice
- dried cranberries
- dried red fruits
- dried apricots
- vegan chocolate (cut into bites)
If you want to look at some ways to flavour your vegan granola differently check this link to 14 different recipes we found.
Got a recommendation to add to our recipe book? Let us know.
Grace has quit the 9-5 lifestyle in London to study marine conservation in Thailand. She will subsequently work as a scuba diving instructor with emphasis on teaching students about marine conservation and anthropogenic impacts to our oceans. Her favourite eco product is Oliva Olive Oil Soap.