Our tried and tested favourites
It’s starting to get colder by the day and the best thing about this weather is the comfort food but more specifically homemade soup with crusty bread. This recipe is filling, nutritious and souper easy to make so you can cook up a batch for the week.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 finely chopped red onions
- 2 cans of lentils (drained)
- 5 diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp of thyme or a few sprigs of fresh
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- Optional: kale or cabbage (to get your iron in)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions turn to a medium to low heat and stir frequently for 10 minutes
- Add the garlic for a couple of minutes making sure it doesn’t brown then add the paprika and thyme stirring thoroughly
- Add the tomato puree, tomatoes, stock and seasoning. Stir thoroughly and bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes
- Add the lentils (and greens if using) and allow to heat through for 5-10 minutes
At E.C.O. we know that it can be hard to make lots of changes to help the environment but one easy way you can do this is by being mindful of what you eat. This recipe has very few ingredients and most of which can be bought loose or in reusable/recyclable glass containers.
Lauren works for a public health charity, has been vegetarian for 11 years (newly vegan this year) and volunteers for an animal charity in her spare time. Her favourite eco product is the Face Halo.