E .C.O. Recipe
Our tried and tested favourites
Perfect for when you have some overripe bananas lying around (or spot some in the supermarket); this banana bread makes the perfect foodie gift, breakfast snack or desert from fruit that would otherwise go to waste!
For this recipe you will need a food processor or hand blender, and a loaf tin
4 Overripe Bananas (if you really can’t find any overripe ones to rescue then oven baking others for 10 mins achieves the same result)
70 ml of olive oil
200 ml of almond milk
300g plain flour
100g brown sugar
3 heaped teaspoons of cocoa powder
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
A sprinkle of salt
A handful of chopped walnuts
1 large bar of your favourite dairy free chocolate
- Mash up the 3 of the bananas and blitz in a food processor with the oil and the almond milk
- Add in the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and blitz again until smooth(ish)
- Mix in the chopped walnuts and chocolate (broken into small chunks)
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and smooth
- Cut the remaining banana in half length ways and place on top of the loaf and sprinkle with brown sugar
- Bake in the oven at about 200’C for around an hour
- Tip out, cool and enjoy!
You can switch up this recipe in loads of ways to suit your tastes, we love adding dates instead of chocolate when we’re on a health kick!
You’re also helping the environment by giving this recipe a try – the dairy industry is responsible for a huge amount of emissions (via rearing of livestock) so switching to dairy free milk is saving on your methane emissions. Plus you’re saving bananas from going to waste!
Got a recommendation to add to our Quick Vegan: series? Let us know.